Latex? Memory foam? Reflex foam? Open coil? Orthopaedic?
Shopping for a new sleeping surface can sometimes feel like getting lost in a baffling maze of mattresses. The options can seem endless.
With so many different materials, designs and styles to choose from, finding the option which will fit your budget and provide your best possible night's sleep can be an unexpectedly complex challenge.
But with around 121 days spent asleep every year, getting it right is a project worth investing in. After all, by the time you're 75, you'll have spent an average of 25 years asleep.
With the quality of our sleep affecting everything from our memory retention, to our pain threshold, picking the perfect mattress should be a priority. So, how do you know which is right for you? We have the answers you're looking for…
Choose memory foam if...
- You're looking for a bed which supports your body and its natural alignment
- You want a noiseless mattress which won't disturb your sleep as you move
- You're keen to invest in a mattress with longevity (average lifespan is 10-20 years)
Don't choose memory foam if...
- You have concerns about the chemicals and substances used in your mattress's production
- You struggle to sleep when you are too warm (memory foam retains heat)
- You're looking for a top of the line mattress with a smaller budget
Choose a latex mattress if...
- You want the support of memory foam without concerns about chemicals or odours
- You're looking for a low-pressure, supportive mattress which reacts quickly to your position
- You'd like a natural, durable mattress with a lifespan of 15+ years
Don't choose a latex mattress if...
- You have a smaller budget (latex mattresses are amongst the most expensive)
- You'd like to test your mattress in store (many local outlets don't yet stock 100% latex options)
Choose an open coil mattress if...
- You're looking for a readily available, affordable mattress
- You'd like a mattress which offers a comparatively cool night's sleep
- You prefer mattresses which allow for greater ease of movement
Don't choose an open coil mattress if...
- You want a durable mattress which won't wear rapidly (average lifespan is around 5-7 years)
- You're seeking comfort as your ultimate priority
- Your partner frequently wakes you when they move at night
- You're seeking low-pressure support from your mattress
OTHER MATTRESS OPTIONS & FEATURES
Choose reflex foam if…
- You want the support of memory foam without the heat (temperature technology is included)
- You prefer firmer memory foam mattresses with less “sink”
Choose a pocket sprung mattress if…
- You're looking for a costlier but more comfortable alternative to open coil mattresses
- You'd like a sprung mattress which will cause less disturbance to and from partners
Which combination of features adds up to your ultimate night's sleep? From orthopaedic options made from high quality latex and foam, to comfortable, affordable open coil mattresses, build the bedtime of your dreams by exploring the Bedco mattress range today.
Like this article?
Share with your friends